Where to find new music? Where to get inspiration from? This is a frequent asked question.
Here is my compilation of great sources for Swing DJs and everybody else who is looking for Swing music.
- Swing DJs The must forum for every Swing DJ!
- Confessing The Blues A podcast dedicated to Blues, which started in August 2009 and ended one year later. The episodes are still available.
- Hey Mr. Jesse Cult! Another must for Swing DJs. Jesse Miner & Manu “Spuds” Smith are focusing more on modern Swing (and Rhythm’n'Blues). It’s a great source for new releases and inspiration.
Websites: Buy music (focus on downloads)
- Amazon.com The bookstore sells now almost everything. Large MP3 catalogue. Also great for CDs, DVDs and books, especially because of the included extern sellers.
- Amazon.de is the German version (for Switzerland, Germany and Austria).
- Bandcamp Platform for artists to sell their digital music. Many different formats (like FLAC, Apple Lossless, AAC and Ogg Vorbis etc.) available. The artists define a minimum price but you also can pay more for the music! Great concept!
- CD Baby is the largest online distributor of independent music. They started with CDs, meanwhile also MP3 downloads are available (every artist chooses the distribution form and price).
- eMusic / eMusic Europe The digital music retailer was one of the first to sell DRM-free music in the MP3 format beginning in 1998. They operate with a subscription-based pricing. This is my favorite place to purchase music. You can find a lot of tunes from sold-out CDs. The MP3 catalogue is vast, but it varies in different countries.
- iTunes Apple’s music store, who doesn’t know it
- jazz-on-line Michel Essevaz-Roulet founded the website back in 2001. Amazing source for Jazz originally on 78 rpm shellack discs and ripped to mp3. Be aware of the sound quality if you wanna use the music for DJing, as there are big differences.
Websites: Discover Music
- allmusic biographies, discographies, song samples
- bebo social network, not as important as Facebook and myspace
- Facebook social network, almost every band now has a fan page on Facebook
- Grooveshark is a free music streaming service with radio stations. Also paid premium account available.
- last.fm build your own internet radio station, operates on a payed membership base
- myspace social network, was one of my first sources for independent music. Lost a lot of its influence in the last few years, but there are still many bands and musicians showcasing their stuff.
- restorm music platform for artists, labels and music lovers (in German: for Switzerland, Germany & Austria)
- ReverbNation online music marketing platform for artists, managers, record labels and venues
- Shazam Service to discover, buy and share music. The Shazam iPhone App is a must have! (also available for iPad and many other mobile platforms)
- SoundCloud Sound sharing service. Not a lot of Swing music available (unless you like Electro Swing)
- Spotify from Sweden. The newest generation of music platforms. Playlists, sharing, mobile music, artist radio, library function, etc. Unfortunately, not available everywhere, but Spotify is expanding quickly!
- YouTube discover old and new stuff on video. Many users forget, that YouTube is one of the most powerful search engines on the Internet.
Which is your favourite spot to find music and why? Please share it with us in the comment section!
Sign up now for DJ Chrisbe’s resources emails for more Swing DJ
resources and music tips! I’ll send them once or twice a month!